Department: Education & Social Development
Kwanlin Dün First Nation is seeking qualified Tutors. Reporting to the Learning Support Coordinator and in conjunction with the Manager, Education, Education Support Coordinators, Cultural Educator(s) and students’ families, the Tutor is responsible for the individual and/or focus group design, delivery, implementation and modification of tutoring support for KDFN citizens from Kindergarten through to adulthood & post-secondary. Appreciation and incorporation of traditional practices specific to learning while tutoring should be respected and facilitated where possible.
The ideal candidate will have excellent communication and interpersonal skills so they can effectively interact and relate to learners and be able to explain materials in various ways. They must be able to establish and maintain trust with the learners and their families while working to meet program outcomes. Organizational and time management skills are required for success.
This is not a training and development opportunity
- Post-secondary training as a tutor, teacher, educational assistant, or related field is an asset;
- Work experience in tutoring, an individual-based program or equivalent, with learners ages 5 through adulthood;
- Experience working with students with different learning needs and abilities, including disability management;
- Experience working within a First Nations Community;
- Experience incorporating Traditional First Nations Ways of Knowing and Doing within curriculum;
- Excellent interpersonal and oral communication skills to effectively interact, relate, establish and maintain trust-based relationships with learners, their families, and service providers;
- Computer literacy, including the ability to complete curriculum-based research, utilize online learning materials and keep electronic records;
- Writing skills, including the ability to complete basic assessments, keep daily student records and write monthly reports on student progress;
- Knowledge of Yukon public school system is an asset.
Knowledge of Indigenous Peoples history with residential school, education systems and familiarity with the Kwanlin Dün First Nations history, culture, goals and aspirations is required for success in this position.
Note: An equivalent combination of post-secondary coursework, training, workshops and significant experience will equally be considered.
Conditions of Employment: Standard First Aid & CPR-C; satisfactory pre-employment criminal records check (vulnerable sector); proof of 2 COVID-19 Vaccinations.
Salary: $33.69-$49.65 per hour (Level 5)
Closing Date: Thursday, December 8th, 2022 by 4:30pm.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to: Human Resources via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: For those submitting applications via email, you will receive a manual response stating that your email has been received. If you do not receive this manual response, please contact the Human Resources Unit at 633-7800.
Job description: Tutor JD PDF
We thank all those who apply but only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Note: The KDFN Hiring Preference Policy will be in effect, so please be sure to clearly self-identify.
An eligibility list may be established from this competition to hire identical or similar positions in the future.
KDFN reserves the right to underfill this position.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com