EXPRESSION OF INTEREST – KDFN Representatives for School Council
Kwanlin Dün First Nation is seeking Expressions of Interest for KDFN Representatives for guaranteed seats on School Council at four schools.
What do School Councils do?
Yukon Government Dept. of Education – The duties and powers of School Councils are described in sections of the Education Act, primarily Section 113. They include:
- Reviewing and approving school growth plans
- Reviewing and developing school-based policies such as dispute resolution, attendance and discipline policies
- Participating in hiring school Principals
- Making recommendations on how school budgets are spent
- Advising on matters such as:
- Length of the school years
- Staffing needs
- School renovations
- School programming
- Discipline policies
- Student transportation
- Proposing locally developed courses
What do KDFN Guaranteed Representatives do?
The duties and powers listed above remain the same for guaranteed reps, however, as a representative of KDFN, the following additional duties apply:
- Liaison between KDFN Education and Social Development Department and the School Council including:
- Providing verbal or written report to Manager, Education or designate on issues arising at meetings
- Providing copy of meeting minutes to Manager, Education or designate
- Share cultural perspectives with the other School Council members
KDFN currently has the following guaranteed seats:
- 1 on F. H. Collins Secondary School Council
- 1 on Hidden Valley Elementary School Council
- 2 on Porter Creek Secondary School Council
Eligibility for a seat as a KDFN guaranteed representative:
- A current KDFN Citizen
- Be at least 18 years old
- Cannot be employed by or working in a school to be appointed to that school’s Council
How do I apply for a seat as a KDFN guaranteed representative?
If you are interested in serving as a KDFN representative on a School Council that KDFN has a guaranteed seat, please complete the application form and submit it to:
Kwanlin Dün First Nation
35 McIntyre Drive,
Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 5A5
Note: If you currently hold a seat as a KDFN representative on a School Council, you must reapply to be considered if you wish to continue holding a seat.
Closing date: Friday, June 17, 2022 at 4:30 p.m.