How to set up rent payments
Kwanlin Dün charges rent for the use of its rental properties in order to pay down the cost of mortgages and to maintain the properties. Rents are significantly less than the Yukon average, which provides a significant benefit to Kwanlin Dün citizens.
- Rent is due on the 1st day of each month payable to the Department of Community Services.
- Tenants can pay their rent at Community Services by cash, debit card, credit card, cheque or money order.
- Rent for tenants on Social Assistance is paid directly to Community Services by the Social Assistance team.
You can easily pay your rent online instead of in person at the Community Services office.
Non-payment of rent – also known as rental arrears – is taken seriously by KDFN Community Services and could lead to the termination of your Tenancy Agreement. If you are having trouble paying your rent, contact the Tenant Relations Officer as soon as possible.
Depending on your situation, we may be able to find a solution that can work for you. The repayment agreement becomes a binding contract between you and the Kwanlin Dün First Nation, just like your tenancy agreement.
- If full payment of all rent owing is not received on or before the due date and you have not made a repayment agreement, you will be in rental arrears.
- Three late rent payments within a six-month period are considered to be repeated rental arrears. Your tenancy agreement may be terminated.
- Failure to contact Community Services with payment or develop an acceptable repayment agreement after the third written notification, may result in the termination of the tenancy agreement.
- Ending a tenancy agreement is a last resort that is reserved for situations in which no satisfactory arrangement for the active repayment of arrears can be reached.
When a tenant is in arrears due to special circumstances, the tenant may be able to enter into a repayment agreement. Special circumstances are things beyond the tenant’s control that have significantly contributed to accumulation of rent arrears.
Repayment agreements are meant to provide you with a reasonable amount of time to repay rents or other debts owed to KDFN on a regular payment schedule. A tenant can only have one active repayment agreement at a time. Failure to pay a repayment agreement means that you are in arrears and your tenancy agreement may be terminated.