The Non-Insured Health Benefits Navigator is the local administrator of the federal Non-Insured Health Benefits (NIHB) program.
Call the First Nations Inuit Health Branch (FNIHB) in Whitehorse, Yukon at 1-800-949-2718 for transfer to one of NIHB services.
The navigator is available at the health centre on weekdays, except statutory holidays, during regular office hours. They can:
- Help clients in accessing the NIHB program and policies
- Advocate for clients to have a voice in their health decisions
- Assist with reimbursements and appeals when denied benefits
- Educate on NIHB policy and procedure updates
- Liaise with other Navigators to integrate concerns for changes, recommendations, and feedback to AFN/NIHB Joint Review Committee
- Network with community health service providers, First Nations, NIHB Regional departments and analysts
- Support to resolve related issues within a complex health system for improvements to NIHB
- Identify gaps and barriers to implement actions and update to NIHB policy and service delivery
- Adapt role and activities to meet Regional needs in addressing policy challenges and changes
- Ensure cultural competency