Stay safe, KDFN,
Omicron is spreading widely and quickly in the Yukon.
• 325 current active cases
• 66 new since yesterday
• 2 people are hospitalized. 1 is in the ICU.
• Many more cases are going unreported.
• This spread can have especially negative effects for people who:
o are not vaccinated;
o are older; or
o have chronic disease(s).
Why are we seeing this widespread transmission even though so many people in the Yukon are vaccinated?
• People who are partially or fully vaccinated are getting Omicron because vaccination is not as effective with Omicron as it was with Delta.
• BUT when you are fully vaccinated (with a booster shot) you are:
o less likely to become infected;
o less likely to infect your contacts; and
o less likely to be hospitalized or need breathing support.
All information is from the acting CMOH media conference held January 5, 2022.
You can watch the full conference here: https://yukon.ca/…/latest…/watch-covid-19-video-updates