2023 KDFN Regular Election for the Chief and Six Councillors
Updated at 3:40 p.m. on March 23, 2023
Updated at 4:18 p.m. on March 16, 2023
- Advance Voting: Mar 8, 2023, from 9 a.m. – 7 p.m. at the Kashgêk’ Building, 35 McIntyre Drive
- Voting Day: Mar 15, 2023, from 9 a.m. – 7 p.m. at the Kashgêk’ Building, 35 McIntyre Drive
KDFN Official Voters List – Updated March 6, 2023
* NOTICE OF VENUE CHANGE: The KDFN Election Voting for Advance Poll on March 8, 2023 and Voting Day on March 15, 2023 Has been changed to the Kashgêk’ Building, 35 McIntyre Drive, Whitehorse, Yukon. See the Notice of Venue Change
- Close of Nominations: 4 p.m. on Wednesday, February 1, 2023
- Mail-in Voting: Feb 8 & 10, 2023, Mailed to your address
- Special Voting: Feb 13 – Mar 13, 2023 (Mar 13, 2023 is the last day to request special ballot at KDFN Election Office)
- Advance Voting: Mar 8, 2023 9 a.m. – 7 p.m. at the Kashgêk’ Building (35 McIntyre Drive)
- Voting Day: Mar 15, 2023 9 a.m. – 7 p.m. at the Kashgêk’ Building (35 McIntyre Drive)
Criteria for Chief and Councillor Candidates:
- is enrolled as a citizen;
- is 18 years of age or older on the voting date;
- declares that he or she will ordinarily reside in the traditional territory of the Kwanlin Dün First Nation for the entire term of his or her office;
- pursuant to subsection 22(4) of the constitution, has not been finally convicted of an indictable offense under the Criminal Code of Canada within three years immediately before the closing date for nominations;
- has at least 25 eligible voters sign a prescribed nomination form in support of his or her candidacy; and
- does not hold office as a city councillor, member of the Yukon Legislative Assembly or member of the Senate or the House of Commons of Canada or similar elected body;
- has not been found to have engaged in a corrupt practice in connection with an election within the last six years; and,
- delivers signed and completed in full the necessary nomination forms by the close of nomination as prescribed by section 44 of the Election Act
Nomination Packages are available at the KDFN Election Office – 4 O’Brien Place
Nomination Forms must be submitted to the Chief Returning Officer (CRO) before
Close of Nominations: 4 p.m. on Wednesday, February 1, 2023
KDFN Citizens who are 18 years of age or older as of the Voting Day are eligible to vote.
In addition to the Voting Day Poll, the following voting methods will be used in this election:
- ADVANCE VOTE – see details below
- MAIL-IN VOTE – mail-in voting packages will be mailed no later than February 10, 2023 to every eligible Citizen who resides outside the Traditional Territory of the Kwanlin Dun First Nation.
- SPECIAL VOTE – any voter may apply for a special ballot on the prescribed form to the Chief Returning Officer.
Voting Day: Mar 15, 2023 9 a.m. – 7 p.m. at the Kashgêk’ Building, 35 McIntyre Drive
Advance Voting: Mar 8, 2023 9 a.m. – 7 p.m. at the Kashgêk’ Building, 35 McIntyre Drive
Mail-in Voting: Feb 8 & 10, 2023, Mailed to your address
Special Voting: Feb 13 – Mar 13, 2023 Mar 13, 2023 (last day to request special ballot) at KDFN Election Office
Please verify your name is on the Voters List!
The Voters List will be posted:
- at the Kashgêk’ building (35 McIntyre Drive);
- on the KDFN website – click here to download the preliminary voters list; and
- at the KDFN Election Office (4 O’Brien Place).
DRAFT VOTERS LIST – Wednesday, January 11, 2023
PRELIMINARY VOTERS LIST – Monday, February 13, 2023
OFFICIAL VOTERS LIST – Wednesday, March 8, 2023
Any requests for revisions to the List shall be directed to the KDFN Registrar of Citizenship.
Contact the Chief Returning Officer
If you require more information please contact:
Chief Returning Officer – Colleen Craft
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 33221 – RPO Ogilvie, Whitehorse, YT, Y1A 6S1
KDFN Election Office Address: 4 O’Brien Pl, Whitehorse
KDFN Election Office Hours:
During Nomination Period: (Jan 11 – Feb 1st)
- Monday & Tuesday 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.,
- Wednesday to Sunday 2 p.m. – 6 p.m.
After Nomination Period Closes – TBA (Feb 2 – Mar 15)